Prepare yourself for one of my dullest posts yet (that’s quite a claim).
I haven’t had to deal with the DVLA for a few years, but today hasn’t been successful.
Given my buyer’s rapid timescale as his 9-5 Aero sold quickly, I wasn’t sure what could be done about the numberplate transfer, so first thing on Saturday morning I called the DVLA. The very helpful lady told me that I could sell the car as normal, and with the V317 registration retention form enter the buyer as the registered keeper, granting the numberplate to me for retention. That was good, so we went ahead with the sale last night.
But then while finishing he paperwork following the sale I noticed that the V5 was supposed to be sent to Swansea, but the V317 could only go to my local DVLA office (but with a cheque payable to DVLA Swansea).
I decided the best thing to do was to take all the completed forms and cheque to my local DVLA office in Worcester. You take a ticket to be served when you enter, and there was a bit of a wait, about 15 mins despite the screen saying 7 mins at the start and going as high as 10 mins.
But then the DVLA lady tells me that she needs the complete V5, and this is only a partial V5. I am a bit confused, as the other removable side just had some instructions for completion and sections for sale to motor trade, export, and the slip for the new owner. Hence I had removed them when giving the new owner his slip. I couldn’t see any of them being of use.
It turns out that I need the new owner slip, otherwise it isn’t a complete form. It would have been nice if that had been mentioned, rather than me being told that I could sell the car as normal.
Apparently I should have read the instructions… I did very carefully., there are quite a lot of them.
Apparently I should have transferred the registration before selling – that was my original plan, but then the DVLA lady had told me I could both at the same time.
So, one drive to Worcester wasted, I have to go again. What’s more, I need to get section 10 of the V5 back from 100 miles away with the new owner. Grand.
Luckily he is an understanding chap and, following a quick phone call, was very helpful and intends to send it ASAP recorded delivery. So I might stand a chance of finishing the transfer on Friday or Monday.
I bet you can’t wait for the next update in the thrilling ex-Saab saga 😉